Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2021  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 333--335

Assessment of prevalence of dental caries among school-going children: A cross-sectional study


Iqbal Singh1, Kanwalpreet Kaur2, Samisha Narang3, Saurabh Yadav4, Sukhpreet Kaur5, Neha Verma Singh6 
1 Department of Public Health Dentistry, Indira Gandhi Government Dental College, Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India
2 Department of Paediatric and Preventive Dentistry, BJS Dental College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
3 Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Shaheed Kartar Singh Sarabha Dental College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
4 Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Children Dental College, Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
5 Department of orthodontics, Maharaja Ganga Singh Dental College and Research Centre, Sriganganagar, Rajasthan, India
6 Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, RKDF Dental College, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Iqbal Singh
Department of Public Health Dentistry, Indira Gandhi Government Dental College, Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir
India

Background: The background of the study was to assess the prevalence of dental caries among school-going children. Materials and Methods: Six thousand eight hundred and ninety school-going children was enrolled. General clinical examination was carried out. Mouth mirror, probe, and explorer were used for carrying out the clinical examination. Over a time span of 6 months, the entire study was completed. All the examiners who performed clinical examination underwent a single-day training program for detecting dental caries. All the participants were seated on straight wooden chairs and were examined clinically. The prevalence of caries was recorded. Results: The prevalence was 26.02%. Among these children with dental caries, 50.25% of the children belonged to the age group of 13–15 years, while the remaining 49.75% of the children belonged to the age group of 9–12 years. Prevalence of dental caries was significantly higher in females (71.11%) in comparison to males. Furthermore, dental caries was significantly more prevalent among participants with toothbrushing frequency of less than once a day (51.20%). Conclusion: There is an imperative need for intimating health check-up camps among school-going children.


How to cite this article:
Singh I, Kaur K, Narang S, Yadav S, Kaur S, Singh NV. Assessment of prevalence of dental caries among school-going children: A cross-sectional study.J Pharm Bioall Sci 2021;13:333-335


How to cite this URL:
Singh I, Kaur K, Narang S, Yadav S, Kaur S, Singh NV. Assessment of prevalence of dental caries among school-going children: A cross-sectional study. J Pharm Bioall Sci [serial online] 2021 [cited 2022 Jun 30 ];13:333-335
Available from: https://www.jpbsonline.org/article.asp?issn=0975-7406;year=2021;volume=13;issue=5;spage=333;epage=335;aulast=Singh;type=0