Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2021  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 602--607

Knowledge and awareness of postextraction complications among dental seniors and interns in Riyadh Province


Adel Alenazi1, Abdulbari Aleidan2, Mohammed Alotheem3, Rakan Alqahtani3 
1 Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University, Al-Kharj, Saudi Arabia
2 General Dentist, Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 Dental Intern, Prince Sattam bin Abdulaziz University, Al-Kharj, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Adel Alenazi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University, Al-Kharj
Saudi Arabia

Background: Postextraction complications are multifactorial. Taking proper medical and dental history, thorough planning, and a skillful dentist can help the prediction and reduction of these complications. Objective: This study aims to assess and compare the knowledge of senior students and interns regarding postextraction complications in government and private colleges in Riyadh Province. Materials and Methods: A random sampling technique was used to select a minimum of 250 participants for this study. A self-designed, close-ended questionnaire was disseminated through an online platform in a manner. Sixth-year (senior) dental students and interns were included in the study. Data were coded and entered into spreadsheet software and analyzed using Chi-square tests. Results: More than half were dental interns (54.04%), and the rest were senior students (45.96%). Male participants comprised 52.57% of the total participants, whereas females were 47.43%. Most participants were from government colleges (53.31%), whereas 46.69% belonged to private colleges. Male interns from government colleges demonstrated the best knowledge among all the participants. In private colleges, females demonstrated better knowledge than males in both the senior and intern groups, and the difference was statistically significant. The difference in knowledge between participants from government and private colleges was found to be statistically significant (P = 0.001). Government colleges were found to demonstrate more complications than private colleges, and the difference was statistically significant (P = 0.003). Conclusion: Male interns from government colleges had the best knowledge about the postextraction complications among the candidates.


How to cite this article:
Alenazi A, Aleidan A, Alotheem M, Alqahtani R. Knowledge and awareness of postextraction complications among dental seniors and interns in Riyadh Province.J Pharm Bioall Sci 2021;13:602-607


How to cite this URL:
Alenazi A, Aleidan A, Alotheem M, Alqahtani R. Knowledge and awareness of postextraction complications among dental seniors and interns in Riyadh Province. J Pharm Bioall Sci [serial online] 2021 [cited 2021 Sep 19 ];13:602-607
Available from: https://www.jpbsonline.org/article.asp?issn=0975-7406;year=2021;volume=13;issue=5;spage=602;epage=607;aulast=Alenazi;type=0